Wednesday, April 23, 2008

-Live Like You Were Dying-

This year has been pretty terrible for young deaths. Everyone knows of the kids that vanished and were found, dead later. But then, there are also the deaths that no one really hears about, except the family and friends of that person. Just today, my mother was telling me about our church's secretary, and her painful loss. He son died a few days ago, died of a heart attack in his sleep. He was only 31. That had me starting to think... I'm only 11 years younger than he is, and he still had his life ahead of him, and was getting married in a few months time. It's really a scary thought. That also got me thinking about the people that I care for around me, and their safety. It worries me, to get a phone call about my parents, my boyfriend, or any of either of our families or really, anyone that we are close to. I thought about what we are all so prone to, how the rate of sickness and diseases have increased so rapidly, and wonder if this is a place I would want my own children to grow up and live in. Really though, it's quite a plateful that we'll have to deal with later on.

I thought about everyone that means a lot to me, and it was a painful thought, but I thought of what I would do if I lost them. It would be painful to go on without them because they all have a very important roll in my life, and the lives around them.

Unfortunately, and maybe this sounds mean and cold-hearted, but I think we brought all this pain and suffering upon us. From what we have done to the Earth, to what we do to ourselves, whether that is eating poorly, or drinking, or smoking (including hard drugs)...I think it's hard to say that we deserve anything less... I'm not saying, by any means, that I'm better than anyone, because I do all the same things as any average person. However, I do also think about the future, and what may very well happen, well, what is bound to happen someday. It scares me, like any other 20 year old, the unknown is a scary place.

I guess the answer is really just to life like it was your last day. In some ways, I guess I do too. For 20, I've done quite a bit, and for the little accomplishments I have succeeded in, I am quite proud. I just hope that people slow down every once in a while, and just be grateful for what you do have, and not think about what you don't. Who knows, it may be your last day tomorrow too. Don't you want to live the fullest?

A bientot.

Rebecca

No comments: